“5 a day”, “5 a day”, “5 a day”! – a phrase I believe you heard and still hear and see everywhere these days.
It seems to be on everyone’s lips, in most TV adverts and health brochures; the government especially the health department preaches it and the health professionals believe in it. So what is this about?
“5 a day” means taking 5 portions of fruits and vegetables each day. According to the NHS this has to be five 80 gram portions of fruits and vegetables each day.
Buy Forever Living Products Product’s in Your Country
100 % Money Back Guarantee! Delivery in 2 Days!
Now most of us while growing up were taught or sometimes forced to have a fruit or vegetable frequently (don’t know about you but felt like punishment to me) but what you and I were probably never told was why we had to take it.
This may just be the reason why we do not eat as much fruits and vegetables as we should.
OK, so why fruits and vegetables? Let me explain!
Fruits and vegetables provide us with very important vitamins:
- Vitamin A; which needed for good eyesight or vision, healthy skin, proper cell replication which is necessary for growth and finally it serves as an antioxidant. It prevents night blindness, chronic fatigue, psoriasis, heart disease, stroke and cataracts.
- Vitamin C; helps in making collagen, transporting chemical energy within the body, production of noradrenaline or norepinephrine, boosting the immune system. It also has anti-inflammatory, pro-oxidant and antioxidant properties. It prevents scurvy and cardiovascular disease while aiding wound healing.
- Vitamin K; improves bone health and bone growth as well as aiding in the formation of a blood clot. Therefore it aids in the production of pro-coagulant factors and prevents osteoporosis.
- Folic Acid; prevents congenital malformations and birth defects when taken during pregnancy, reduces the risk of stroke and risk of some cancers.
- Apart from vitamins, fruits and vegetables provide essential minerals like:
1. Calcium; prevents osteoporosis, reduces blood pressure, necessary for healthy teeth and muscle-skeletal system.
2. Magnesium; prevents osteoporosis, needed for healthy nervous and immune systems, as well as teeth.
3. Potassium; reduces the risk of hypertension, atherosclerosis and stroke.
Despite all these benefits, it is interesting to know that most of us still do not comply to the 5 a day rule.
Personally, sometimes I feel like eating fruits and veggies is some form of punishment. They have a bland taste most of the time and I believe it is probably due the the huge amounts of fertilizers and pesticides these fruits and vegetables have been pumped with.
A recent study published in the HortScience (check Yahoo News), showed that fruits and vegetables are approximately 8 times less nutritious than what they were 50 years ago. I guess that is why they taste to bland, unnatural, unfresh!!!
Also there is the issue of time! Most people don’t have the time to consume their required 5 a day portions.
If you asking yourself this; “Is there a way of having my 5 a day in a less stressful form and shorter time frame?”, your answer is YES! As usual let me show you how or what I do.
Despite the name, Forever Kids can be consumed by adults too. This is a multivitamin which includes phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals and enzymes.
The phytonutrients are taken from carrots, acerola, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, apples, cranberries, tomatoes and citrus fruits.
Think of this as a perfect way to make your kids eat their fruits and vegetables. Looks and taste like sweets.
This is a great for those who are used to the convenience of fast food. It combines the nutritional benefits of green barley sprouts/grass, wheat grass, alfalfa, cayenne pepper and honey.
It also contains enzymes, beta-carotene, amino acids, vitamins, chlorophyll and MORE FIBRE than BRAN!
Contains all the vegetables you will ever need for a day in just 2 chewable tablets.
Great! With all that written, the choice is yours.
If you are like me who doesn’t like the taste of the somewhat artificial vegetables and fruits we have in supermarkets these days, or simply don’t have time to waste but want a healthy and balanced diet, You now have 3 options to choose from.
The post Fruits and Vegetables: Are You Having Your 5 A Day appeared first on Daily Health Advisor.