Pain can be disrupting, and it can interfere with your ability to perform daily tasks. Pain is also one of the most common ailments, and it affects more people than cancer, heart disease, and diabetes combined.
Acute pain refers to pain that has a sudden onset, and the duration of the pain is limited, whereas chronic pain refers to types of pain that last longer. Long-term diseases often cause chronic pain, while the injury is usually the culprit behind the acute pain.
- Pain is often treated with painkillers, which helps to reduce painful sensations and sometimes also to reduce inflammation that occurs in the affected area. The most common types of painkillers include paracetamol, NSAIDs, and opioids, but all of these have been linked to numerous side effects, including dizziness, changes in blood pressure levels, heartburn, physical dependence and allergic reactions.
To reduce pain without risking the development of these harmful side-effects, many people prefer to use a natural remedy. Natural remedies may include the use of herbs, spices, foods or even something as simple as performing an exercise.
These remedies will help to reduce pain and often the inflammation that accompanies the pain as well, without causing side-effects to develop.
101 Ways To Reduce Pain Naturally
1. Ginger has been proven to reduce pain effectively and also reduce the secretion of cytokines that causes inflammation.
2. Ginger essential oil treats pain caused by autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis and lupus.
3. Feverfew is a herb that is native to Asia and has been proven to effectively reduce the severity of migraine attacks.
4. Cayenne has been used for many years as a natural remedy to reduce pain. This natural remedy is also effective in relieving pain caused by Psoriatic arthritis and similar diseases.
5. Turmeric has a powerful anti-inflammatory property that has been scientifically proven to be similar to the anti-inflammatory effects of NSAIDs.
6. Valerian root is an effective natural remedy for reducing the severity of premenstrual syndrome. The root can also help to reduce muscle contractions.
7. White willow bark can help to reduce pain and inflammation that causes pain. This natural remedy has also been proven to provide effective joint pain relief.
8. Devil’s claw is a popular plant that is used to treat pain. It is especially useful for reducing back and neck pain, as well as pain caused by Osteoarthritis.
9. Tart cherries contain powerful anti-inflammatory properties and has also been proven to be an effective remedy for reducing muscle pain.
10. Peppermint oil is effective when applied topically to affected areas. This oil is most effective in reducing tension headaches and assisting with lower back pain.
11. Cinnamon has a positive effect on reducing muscle soreness after athletic performance. Combined with a supplement such as Traumeel, this natural remedy can provide long-term positive results.
12. The “Bow Pose” is an excellent yoga pose that can be used to reduce stomach cramps that are caused by menstruation.
13. Ginseng is a natural treatment that individuals with Fibromyalgia find many benefits from. It helps to reduce musculoskeletal pain and the fatigue that often accompanies the disease.
14. The root of a kava kava plant, sometimes only called “kava”, is effective in treating neuropathic pain and tension headaches.
15. The calming effects of lavender oil can help to relax tense muscles, reduce the severity of migraine attacks and effectively treat tension headaches.
16. Rosemary oil can be used in different ways to reduce pain. For tension headaches, the vapors can be inhaled and for muscle soreness, the oil can be applied topically.
17. Ginseng treats Fibromyalgia and musculoskeletal pain and treats fatigue, which is a common symptom of the disease.
18. Eucalyptus essential oil treats muscle injuries and sinus congestion, due to the strong anti-inflammatory properties.
19. Yarrow essential oil is excellent for treating pain since it is high in salicylic acid, which has analgesic effects, and also has potent anti-inflammatory properties.
20. Helichrysum essential oil should be applied topically to relieve pain. It has strong antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.
21. The“Supported Warrior” yoga pose treats acute and chronic pain and is especially effective in the case of knee pain.
22. The “Butterfly” yoga pose is especially useful in the case of arthritis in the hip.
23. Clary sage essential oil treats pain in the abdominal area, cramps and stomach spasms.
24. Chiropractic treatments with spinal manipulation are effective in the case of back pain, especially if it is caused by an injury.
25. Red wine contains a beneficial compound, resveratrol, which regulates pain at a cellular level.
26. Hypnosis performed specifically for pain management treats lower back pain, and pain due to Fibromyalgia.
27. Bok Choy, or the Chinese cabbage, is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which lessen pain.
28. Avoid foods that are high in refined sugars, as they promote inflammation in the body.
29. Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy treats musculoskeletal pain and reduces muscle spasms.
30. Tomatoes are a powerful natural remedy which treats inflammation and pain.
31. Consume filtered water, as regular tap water is rich in compounds that may contribute to inflammation, which may, in turn, causes pain.
32. Foods rich in lean protein detoxify the liver and thus soothe the pain.
33. Cook your meat at a lower temperature, as the pain and inflammation are aggravated by the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines produced when meat is cooked at a high temperature.
34. Consume foods rich in unsaturated fats to avoid inflammation, which worsens pain.
35. Frankincense essential oil treats anxiety helps you to reduce stress and fights inflammation and pain.
36. Valerian root lowers the severity of premenstrual syndrome, and reduces muscle contractions.
37. White willow bark relieves pain and treats inflammation. It is especially useful in the case of joint pain.
38. Peppermint oil treats lower back pain and headaches when applied topically on the affected area.
39. Clove oil has powerful antimicrobial properties, so it treats throat pain and toothaches.
40. Soaking in a warm bath is another way to reduce muscle spasms, and lessen pain due to muscle injuries and arthritis.
41. Heat therapy, which involves a heat patch or warm water bottle, boosts blood flow in the affected area and suppresses the pain signals, thus reducing the pain.
42. Probiotics soothe inflammation and thus fight pain due to an irritable bowel syndrome.
43. Cold therapy, performed with an ice pack, relieves inflammation around treats pain.
44. A warm bath with Epsom salts fights muscle pain and relaxes the muscles.
45. Holy basil has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, which soothe inflammation and the pain it causes.
46. Vitamin E supplements are high in antioxidants, which prevent free radical damage and soothe pain in arthritis patients.
47. Daily exposure to sunshine (an average of 15 minutes per day) optimizes the levels of vitamin D in the body, which has been shown to treat pain.
48. Reduce stress as it might worsen pain.
49. Massage therapy effectively soothes acute and chronic pain.
50. Vanilla extract can numb the painful area and soothe a toothache if applied to a sore tooth and the surrounding gums.
51. Regular sexual intercourse treats headaches and leads to less severe PMS cramps.
52. An adequate amount of sleep prevents and reduces the severity of muscle pain and several types of chronic pain.
53. Grape juice is a rich source of pectin, which reduces inflammation and fights pain due to arthritis.
54. Stretching is also of great help as it reduces muscle stiffness and reduces the pain due to muscle stiffness.
55. A mixture of salt and water temporarily soothes toothache as it cleanses the infection in the oral cavity.
56. Thyme helps to reduce the severity of pain.
57. Borage oil is an effective way to reduce the severity of PMS symptoms, and relieve pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis and inflammation.
58. Magnesium deficiency is one of the leading causes of chronic pain and muscle cramps, so make sure you optimize its levels in the body.
59. Boswellia extracts reduce the severity of migraine attacks and tension headaches.
60. Omega-3 fatty acids treat inflammation, reduce joint stiffness, and fight back pain, and pain due to menstrual cramps.
61. Creams that contain comfrey are highly effective in the treatments of upper and lower back pain.
62. Salmon is a rich source of nutrients that soothe inflammation and treat pain.
63. Blackstrap molasses is rich in minerals, so it treats pain that is caused by arthritis.
64. Strength training exercises will be of great help in the treatment of pain in the legs, back, abs, shoulders, chest and arms.
65. Glucosamine supplements treat joint pain due to arthritis and collagen degradation.
66. Swimming treats neck pain and neck pain, strengthens the muscles, and relieves stress, which often leads to pain.
67. Supplements that contain Gamma-Linolenic Acid treat joint stiffness, inflammation, and pain.
68. Extra virgin olive oil is another natural remedy for pain due to Osteoarthritis or any other type of arthritis, as it lubricates the bones, soothes inflammation, and fights pain.
69. Bone broth fights joint pain and inflammation, since it is rich in calcium, Magnesium, Sulphur, glucosamine and various other compounds.
70. Chondroitin supplements, lower joint pain and improve joint movement.
71. Creams and ointments that contain capsicum treat pain, and are especially useful in the case of back pain.
72. The leaves of a dandelion plant have powerful anti-inflammatory properties, while the plant is rich in linoleic acid, which supports the regulation of the body’s inflammatory responses.
73. Practice Qigong, the traditional Chinese exercise technique, which has been found to be able to soothe pain by as much as 73%.
74. An adequate consumption of vitamin C boosts the production of collagen production and prevents free radical damage. Moreover, it is useful in the treatment of pain and inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
75. Gin, combined with golden raisins, soothes pain and reduces inflammation.
76. Chiropractic treatments are really helpful in the case of outer legs, hip, and back pain.
77. Juniper essential oil treats pain due to hemorrhoids, indigestion, and colitis, and relieves rheumatic pain.
78. Acupuncture is a great way to relieve migraines, reduce lower back pain, lessen pain caused by arthritis and after a surgery.
79. Wild Opium Lettuce, is effective in easing pain, when the milky sap from the leaves is extracted and consumed.
80. Blue Lotus soothes migraines and muscle spasms.
81. The leaves and bark of the Eucommia tree alleviates back pain, and joint pain in the hips and knees.
82. Green tea contains beneficial compounds which block the inflammatory response triggered by arthritis, and thus soothe the inflammation and pain due to arthritis.
83. Consume meat and products from farm-raised animals, as commercially raised ones are often fed foods that contain ingredients that aggravate inflammation and pain.
84. Take a break – Always find time to relax and provide the rest your body needs.
85. Sandalwood essential oil is a great natural remedy for muscle, joint, and neuralgia pain.
86. Wintergreen essential oil is extremely effective in the treatment of muscle pain, neuralgia, and joint pain due to arthritis, as well as headaches and a sore throat.
87. Listening to music is beneficial for pain as it can increase the amount of hormones involved in the human body’s pain sensitivity, and thus soothe pain.
88. Walking barefoot is beneficial in the case of knee pain, as it relieves 12% of the pressure applied to the knees while walking with shoes.
89. Walnuts are rich in proteins and Omega-3, so they have potent anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the affected area and fight pain.
90. Check your blood sugar levels as normal blood sugar levels prevent or treat nerve pain due to diabetes.
91. Calcium is an essential mineral for healthy bones, so it is helpful in the treatment of pain due to osteoarthritis.
92. Practicing meditation on a regular basis might be of help in the reduction of the intensity of chronic pain due to long-term diseases.
93. Chia seeds are rich in nutrients and compounds with anti-inflammatory properties, so they are helpful in the treatment of pain.
94. A daily walk could help you treat back pain and the pain caused by osteoarthritis.
95. Arnica oil should be applied topically in order to soothe acute pain due to an injury, and to reduce swelling caused by a surgery.
96. Do not use gadgets in the bedroom, as they emit light which negatively affects the body’s internal clock, leading to poor sleep, inflammation, and pain.
97. Avoid foods that may contribute to inflammation and pain.
98. Potassium-rich foods will help you alleviate joint inflammation and pain.
99. Black pepper boosts the absorption of many spices and herbs, and thus accelerates their pain-relieving effects.
100. The “Cobra” yoga pose is a great way to treat back pain.
101. Drinking at least eight glasses of water daily can help you fight muscle and back pain and reduce stiffness.