Researchers discovered a special connection between our genes and the environment. Experts didn’t find out a set of “lefty-genes” to specify the reason why some of the people are left-handed, however, they came across data that the number of left-handed members is higher in the family of the left-handed person.
Moreover, the discovered that the writings in the brain are different in the left and right handed people. The ones who are left-handed spend their whole life adapting to the right-handed world, thus are more independent.
Let’s take a look at some facts for the left-handed people:
1. Left-handed people constitute 5 to 10 percent of the world population.
2. These people are three times likelier to turn into alcoholics.
3. These people are good in a lot of sports such as tennis, baseball, boxing, swimming etc.
4. An interesting fact is that over 40 percent of the top world tennis players are left-handed.
5. Usually, left-handers are using the right side of their brain.
5. Left-handed people usually reach puberty later, about 5 months than normally.
6. The word “left” is of Anglo-Saxon origin, from a word “lyft” which meant- broken or weak.
7. They can adjust to see underwater more easily than right-handers.
8. According to statistics, left-handed college graduates are expected to become 26 percent richer than their right- handed colleagues.
9. Out of 7, four of the United States are left-handed.
10. In animals, like cats, mice, and rats, the percentage of left and right pawedness is equally split.
11. Those women who are pregnant in their 40s have 128% higher chances of delivering a left-handed baby, than those women who get pregnant in their 20s.
12. Left-handed people have an increased risks of insomnia.
13. They are more susceptible to allergies and asthma, compared to the tight-handers;
14. Math, architecture, and spatial awareness is where left-handers are more talented, the righties have more developed verbal skills;
15. This is a trait which runs in the family. One such example is that the members of the British Royal Family including Prince William, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mother, and Prince Charles are left-handed;
16. In case the dominant hand is injured, the left-handed individuals are able to learn to use the other arm much faster than if the same happens among right-handers;
17. They differently process emotions compared to the right-handed and also get angry faster;
18. 1 out of 4 Apollo astronauts was left-handed;
19. Jack the Ripper, the Boston Strangles, and Osama bin Laden, the most vicious and wanted killers in the human history were left-handed;
20. Sweater, dresses, and tesserae decades are the longest words that can be typed with the left hand with a conventional hand positioning;
21. According to a study, left-handers process emotions in a different way than right-handers, and they usually get upset much quicker. John McEnroe is a perfect example of this, as we have witnessed him being angry many times.
22. Have you ever heard that the longest words which can be typed with the use of just left hand with a conventional hand positioning are dresses, sweater, and tesserae decades?
23. Medical experts discovered that when a left-handed person injures her/his dominant hand, s/he will learn using the other one more quickly than those who have their right hand as the dominant one.
24. August 13th is the Left-Handers Day.