- Leg cramps are sudden spasms of muscles in the calf. They can last from a few seconds to several minutes. They are familiar to all of us. Leg cramps are very painful, often happen during the night and disturb us when we sleep. These cramps impair to general health.
So now you wonder, why does it happen at night? Due to lack of workouts during the day.
Another reason for leg cramps is little fluids and blood flow of the legs. Legs cramps and pain can last a few seconds to a few minutes, but in worst cases, they can continue to a few days. People older than 50 often sufferer of such cramps, but lately young people also complain of leg cramps. This affects the calves, thighs, and feet. You can easily overcome them, using some effective tips and tricks.
WHAT TO DO?
– Eat magnesium. Magnesium-rich foods such as dark greens, veggies, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, dates, dark chocolate, and bananas have all prove effective against cramps.
– Apply magnesium oil to your legs. Make the spray below, apply just before going to bed, and you should see fewer cramps.
– Add vitamin D. The best way to add vitamin D is through sun-exposure, but mushrooms and seafood are also good vitamin D sources.
– Do stretches- prevent cramps when you stretch. Simple techniques help with this. There is better blood flow that brings more oxygen and nutrients to cells. Also, the easiest way to do this is with a ledge and resting a ball of the foot while the heel is on the floor. Then shift the weight on the ledge like pressing pedal on a car. Keep like that for 2 seconds and rest 10. You feel a good stretch burn. Repeat it 6-8 times per foot. This relaxes the calves and remember the ledge must not be too high from the ground since it means extra pressure. Or do a ledge with piled up books.
– Imbalance in electrolytes- having water enough, prevents cramps and tremors. If this still doesn’t help, you have electrolyte imbalance and you must try a simple DIY recipe. It Is an electrolyte drink, easy to make and sip. Just follow below;
Electrolyte drink recipe:
– 1 qt water
– 6 tsp sugar
– 1/2 tsp salt
– lemon / lime juice to taste
Mix ingredients and drink. Sugar can be replaced with honey for a healthier alternative.
HOW TO ACHIEVE QUICK RELIEF FROM CRAMPS?
For those with night cramps, here is some advice:
Spread the cramping leg and stretch ankles. Point up toes and in the knee direction. Tug the feet and stretch.
If you can, stand up and walk at a slow pace. It causes better blood flow.
Massage calves in circles.
Consider adding the following cramp-reducing foods to your diet today!
– Green leaf veggies
– Pumpkin seeds
– Sea salt
– Sardines and salmon
– Greek yogurt