In today’s throwaway culture, it’s becoming all too easy to fill up our trash cans. While some people try to recycle or compost, more often than not, it’s easier to simply throw away our stuff and be done with it.
Thankfully it’s not the only option, especially when it comes to silica gel packets. These toxic inserts—which are meant to absorb moisture and can be found as part of the packaging in items like shoes and the like—are as harmful to humans as they are to the environment. But you don’t need to throw them away! Instead, you can keep them out of harm’s way with these incredible ideas.
1. Keep your gym bag smell-free with silica packets. They’re great at combating odors!
2. Keep collections of baseball cards free of mold and moisture
3. Tuck a few silica gel packets in your closet to prevent that mildew smell
4. Forget ruining a bag of rice the next time your phone gets wet. Simply surrounded it with these packets to naturally absorb the water
5. Delicate Christmas ornaments can fade over time… unless you add some silica packets inside your storage box
6. Still have hard copies of photographs? Silica packets will preserve them
7. Prevent rust buildup in your tool box with just a packet or two
Who knew that silica packets could be so useful!? Make sure you toss a few into your gym bag before you work out today!
Share these simple upcycling ideas with your friends below. They’ll thank you for keeping their stuff clean and fresh!