The Dukan Diet has been one of the most popular weight-loss plans recently. All four phases of the Dukan Diet contain strictly, but simple rules to help to lose weight and keep it off, for those who find dieting a struggle. Adhering to these rules can definitely help you to transform your lifestyle into a healthy one.
Dukan Diet Rules
If you want a rapid weight loss, here we present the 4 phases with the Dukan diet rules.
1. Attack Phase
In this first phase you can lose even more than 2 pounds a day, which why is considered as the most aggressive phase of the Dukan diet lasts up to 10 days, depending on the number of pounds you need to get rid of. Here is how to think and schedule your attack phase:
Stay 1-2 days on the attack phase if you have less than 10 pounds to lose.
Stay 3-4 days on the attack phase if you want to lose anywhere between 10 and 20 pounds.
Stay 5-6 days on the attack phase if you need to lose anywhere between 20 and 40 pounds.
Stay 7-8 days on the attack phase if you have more than 40 pounds to lose.
Staying 9 or 10 days on the attack phase is not recommended without doctor’s advice and supervision.
Here are the main Dukan diet rules for the attack phase:
1. The water is very important in every diet, so you MUST drink at least 1.5 liters of water every day of the program to avoid overworking your kidneys and dehydration. The Dukan Diet is a high protein diet, so protecting your kidneys is very important.
2. You MUST incorporate 1.5 tbsp of oat bran per day. I like to mix oat bran with no-fat yogurt, but you can eat it in any form you like.
3. Also the walking is one of the main things that you have to do, so you MUST walk for about 20 minute daily. This is the only workout required and recommended by the Dukan Diet’s author.
4. If after first 5 days you are not seeing any further weight loss proceed to the Phase 2 even if you planned your attack for longer.
5. Eat as much as you want, whenever you want of any foods on the following list:
Chicken and turkey without skin or the outside part of the wings (which is too fatty);
Beef, veal, or chicken liver;
Any fish (except canned in oil or sauce);
Shellfish and crustaceans;
Sweeteners (except fructose based), herbs, vinegar, garlic, mustard, sugar free natural ketchup (in moderation), onion (as spice), lemon juice (as spice, not for drinking) and any other spices;
Sugar free chewing gum;
Up to 2 eggs per day and unlimited egg whites, but watch the yolks if you have high cholesterol;
Low fat (below 5% fat) or no-fat dairy products.
2. Cruise Phase
The second phase could last a week, a month or a few months, depending on your weight loss goal, so it can last as much as it need. Here are the Dukan Diet rules for the second phase:
1. First you MUST increase the oat bran intake to 2 tbsp per day.
2. It is also very important to increase your exercise to 30 minutes of brisk walking daily.
3. At the end you MUST alternate one day with foods only from the first phase, with one day with foods from the first phase + vegetables from this list:
Carrots (in moderation);
Beetroot (in moderation);
3. Consolidation Phase
Here comes the moment when you reached your desired weight. Now you can eat whatever you want (YES, as unbelievable as it sounds, we mean anything) thanks to the celebration meals, but to avoid gaining the weight back, you need to precisely follow these rules:
1. For every pound you lost, you need to be on this phase for 5 days. So 10 pounds lost means you need to be on the Consolidation phase for 50 days.
2. It is important to eat fruit every day; you can eat any kind of fruits, except bananas, dried fruits and cherries.
3. You can eat 2 slices of wholegrain bread a day.
4. You can add up to 40 grams of cheese to your diet each day (just avoid goat cheeses, roquefort and camembert).
5. You are allowed to eat 2 portions (220 grams each) of starchy products a week. You can choose between pasta (cooked al dente), wholegrain rice, lentils or beans. Avoid potatoes and white rice.
6. Once a week you can have some lean pork or lamb.
7. You must have one day of pure protein every week (eat only the foods allowed in the Attack phase). It is recommended to choose a Thursday, but you can choose other day of the week if this doesn’t fits your schedule.
8. Two times a week you can have celebration meals, which means you can eat anything, from pizza or french fries to ice cream and chocolate cake. But there are some rules you need to follow:
Nothing more than a single, normal serving.
There should be at least one day difference between celebration meals, not day after day.
Celebration meal means you really need to enjoy the tastes, not to rush yourself.
If you can try to prepare the celebration meals yourself, at home.
4. Stabilization Phase
This phase contains a set of rules for life, that will help you keep the weight off and live a healthy lifestyle. Here are the 3 Dukan diet rules for life:
1. Stick to a pure protein day per week.
2. Eat 1-2 tbsp of oat bran daily to avoid cravings.
3. It is important to stay active and walk at least 30 minutes every day. If you don’t have time (which is really hard to believe, you can always find time when it comes to your health), just stay active during the day using the stairs instead of the lift, or walking instead of driving short distances.
It is important to not wait if you gain a few pounds. Get back on track by having 2 pure protein days (only foods from the Attack phase) a week.