Candida, sometimes referred to as thrush or candidiasis, is an organism that we all carry in the form of yeast it is mostly found in the mouth, on the skin, in the gut, and in women, it is present in the vagina. Sometimes, the yeast will multiply to unnatural levels, leading to Candida.
It usually occurs in the warm, moist areas of the body like the mouth, the genital area, and in babies, it can be found in the diaper area, leading to nappy rash. Here are the most common Candida symptoms, along with a few tips on how you can avoid infection
How to know you have Candida
To understand Candida symptoms, let us see how they manifest in different parts of the body.
- It occurs in white patches in the mouth and the tongue (what is commonly known as furry tongue). When it is advanced, there will be redness and discomfort, and it can lead to sore throat and a difficulty in swallowing, as well as cracking in the corners of the mouth where the lips meet. The cracks look wet all the time.
- On the skin, it appears as red, itchy patches, commonly known as ringworm that may or may not look wet all the time. They may or may not have little pustules or scabs around them. Common areas of the skin that are affected include the under the breast, in between the buttocks and in the underarms.
- In the vagina, Candida symptoms include a thick, yellowish or whitish discharge that looks like cheese and smells bad, as well as itching and burning. Sex becomes painful and when the infection is quite advanced, there may be pain when you urinate.
- It can affect men in the penis (usually if they are not circumcised) although this is quite rare. It will manifest as a red, itchy tip and there will be pain during urination.
- It frequently affects the nails and it causes discoloration and sometimes may cause the nail to fall off.
There are some general Candida symptoms that affect the whole body
- Frequent headaches and migraines that leave one feeling depressed.
- It can cause poor sleep patterns you take a long time to fall asleep and you wake up frequently.
- Because of the lack of sleep, you get irritable and confused and may suffer a poor memory.
- Sexual problems are not uncommon the desire for sex is diminished without reasonable explanation.
- Dizziness and numbness are also symptoms, and you may sometimes feel as if you are floating.
- It causes fatigue, joint pain, cold feet, cold hands and sometimes a cold nose.
- In very serious cases, the yeast can puncture holes in the gut and send the infection into the bloodstream this can be fatal because it damages the bodys major organs.
There are some specific Candida symptoms in children
- They get sore throats and throat infections frequently. They will also have frequent bladder infections.
- They dont sleep well which leads to irritability and a lot of crying.
- They look pale and have dark circles under their eyes.
- They are poor eaters, craving for dairy items like cheese and yoghurt.
As you can see, most of these symptoms can manifest as a result of many conditions, not just Candida. Research shows though, that in the presence of a good number of these symptoms, treating Candida will get rid of most of them.
How can you avoid Candida?
Once you have the infection, depending on how serious it is, an over the counter prescription or a short visit to the doctor will treat Candida. There are things that you can do to reduce your chances of getting it.
Understanding how it occurs is the best way of knowing how to keep it at bay the yeast overgrowth is usually triggered when the good bacteria are overpowered by the bad. If you can work on restoring the natural balance that is required, you will be safe from Candida infections. That said, people with auto immune disorders like AIDS should seek medical treatment as restoring of the good bacteria alone may not be of much help.
Eliminating sugar, alcohol, dairy, wheat and nicotine will help reduce your chances of getting Candida. Instead, load up on high protein foods and anything that contains probiotics (cheeses, yoghurt and garlic are excellent).
Candida grows in wet areas of the skin, so keep your skin dry as much as possible. Stress increases the likelihood of getting it because it weakens the immune system. Exercise is one great way of keeping stress at bay.
Lastly, deal with any Candida symptoms immediately you notice them the sooner you do, the easier they are to treat.